Within this project a documentary movie and a poster campaign are realised. The goal of this multimedia project is to raise worldwide awareness about the existing misconceptions around HIV/Aids by amplifying unheard voices. We’re convinced that only society itself can make a difference in a ruling taboo.
"Whisper Down The Lane” is an artistic research project, which explores existing communication paradigms about HIV/Aids in Kenyan slum areas.
Whisper Down The Lane (documentary movie, 2011)
In a village in Kenya, four women talk about their life. Not all of them are infected, but they all made life changing experiences concerning HIV/Aids. Apprehensible HIV does not only emerge as a virus but as fear inside people too. In the area rumors go round and a lot of people believe them. Legends and myths, half-truths and prejudices have negative effects on society. Tabooing, stigmatization and violence are the consequences the women were confronted with. Employees in social organizations on site are talking about the experiences they made during their work. There is positive progression, but people’s fear is a mighty opponent in the fight against HIV and Aids. The goal is to raise worldwide awareness about the existing misconceptions around HIV/Aids by amplifying unheard voices. We as a team are convinced that only society itself can make a difference in a ruling taboo.
To inspire people to communicate and think about the subject, it’s necessary to address the issue in public. To do so, we developed a serie of posters that picture people from the neck down, holding a piece of paper on which they wrote down in a few sentences what they want to share with society. Every message is linked to the rumors about HIV/Aids and its consequences. It’s designed without slogans or web addresses in order to let the messages speak for themselves. Because of the exclusive use of paper and printing to local standards, the campaign has an authentic appearance. This means also the aesthetics of the medium contributes to further identification in eventual public appearance. About 1300 posters were in this action, a large area located on power poles and usable building space. In the aftermath of the campaign public discussion about this taboo topic took place on the streets and because of its strong presence the campaign led to numerous HIV testings. The successful execution of our poster campaign and the resulting reactions motivated us to take further steps. Therefore, we would attempt to widen the scope.
All work within the project is done voluntarily. So we want to ensure maximum sustainability and transparency in the use of financial resources. 51% of all financial gains are proportionally divided among the kenyan project participants. All protagonists, assistants, social workers have worked without getting payed in the first year. The remaining 49% of the proceeds will be used to promote local art and social projects. As part of the project funding in February 2013 the artist collective „Bushfire artists“ was founded.
Third place at Salzburger Upcoming-Movie Award 2012